Followers

Saturday, January 1, 2011

How to make GF food I don't have to actually chew.

On 12/29, I topped off 2010 by having some pretty major oral surgery to place 8 dental implants in my upper jaw. This is in anticipation of having permanent bridgework added in about 4 months. The reason I needed the implants is because 1 1/2 years ago, while looking at a house in Ft Wayne that Kay's daughter was interested in renting; I caught my toe on worn carpet on the stairs, and fell. When I landed, my upper teeth collided with the absolutely gorgeous oak surround of the living room entry in this nice little 1930's Craftsman. The result was to snap off 4 of my front teeth at the root, necessitating their removal. If that had been all, there would have been a fairly simple addition of a couple of implants and a bridge. But: One of those teeth was the only thing on that side of my mouth supporting a partial denture. Without that tooth, I could no longer wear a partial - so they all came out.

So far, the owner's insurance company refuses to admit any fault; even though within a couple of days, the owner had a handyman over there nailing down the carpeting on the stair where I'd caught my toe. So I am pursuing the case to recoup at least some of the cost of replacing my front teeth.

And so, to my dilemma. I'm now trying to make tasty, nourishing meals that I don't necessarily have to chew. I have Kefir and yogurt, plus I'd made Vegetable soup in advance. I have eggs, and more soups, but I find myself wandering around my kitchen, opening the refrigerator, scanning the pantry shelf; and everything that looks appealing has to be chewed, or has nuts in it, or dry fruit. Something is definitely missing, but I can't figure it out. I've eaten icecream, but vanilla is not my fave, and the Butter pecan is out, and the mint choc chip has hard chunks of chocolate that I can't bite. Chocolate is pretty much out too, unless I let it dissolve in my mouth

Yesterday morning I made myself a smoothie with a banana, yogurt, pomegranate/blueberry juice & frozen blueberries. But that much cold that early in the morning tends to upset my stomach. Veggie soup for lunch, and for supper last night we had bratwurst that I simmered so they were tender, cottage cheese, and I had some Roasted red pepper & tomato soup as my vegetable. I made succotash for Vince. This morning I made Oatbran cereal with brown sugar & a little milk. More veggie soup for lunch and then tonight we had Turkey vegetable soup with fresh corn muffins. I'm pretty sick of soup!

Does it sound like I'm whining? Well, yes, I am. But it's my blog and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to, whine if I want to...You would whine too, if it happened to you... LOL

More another day.

No comments: