Followers

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Are you tired of Gluten free Muffins that are too sweet, too soft - all Airy-Fairy?



I think I may have made a small discovery - and, for me, a major accomplishment. I made muffins today that SEEM to be firm and chewy with solid substance to them! Not from a mix!

So here is what I did: I remember the first loaf of Gluten Free bread I made was from a recipe on a blog that used no Xanthan gum or Guar gum at all. It used Flaxseed meal and eggs as the binding material. So... I decided to try that method, combined with a small amount of Xanthan gum and a bunch of other fiber-ful flours as well.

Turned the oven on to 350* and put liners into muffin tin.

Started with 1/3c flax meal mixed with 2 eggs and let sit.

In a big bowl, I put
1 c Better Batter GF All purpose baking mix (has Xantum Gum in it)
1/2 c Sweet Sorghum flour
1/4 c ground toasted Millet

I cut in 6T butter
Then added:
1/3 + brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 rounded tsp ground ginger
And mixed it all together.

I mixed 1 very ripe banana and about 3/4 c pumpkinn left in my freezer & crying out to be used up into the flax mixture and then added that to the dry ingredients. And then added about 1/2 tsp vanilla.

I began beating it with my hand mixer, but the batter was quite dry so I added about 1/4 - 1/3 c Almond milk (could use any kind). It was still a bit too dry so I added about 1/4c maple syrup (because that's all that was left in the jug and the batter was not quite sweet enough. You could use honey or any other liquid sweetener.

I Beat it for about a total of 3 minutes or so and then folded in about 1 1/2 c dry mixed berries. I suppose you can use fresh or frozen, but they will ad moisture.

I piled it all into 12 muffin cups and baked for about 20-22 minutes until they were nice and brown and a toothpick came out clean. I probably could have made 14 or 15 muffins, but I ended up with 12 really high ones.

I left them in the tin for a few minutes and then turned them out onto a cooling rack.

I ate one warm, and it was nice and solid and tasty. I'm going to go back and take some pics and eat another now that they are cold... We'll see how they stand up to time and the freezer!


No comments: