Followers

Tuesday, September 7, 2010


Last night I baked a loaf of bread from a mix. I had asked the mgr of Woodmans in Carpentersville which GF mixes were best. His response was that he could only tell me which ones sell fastest, and Pamela's brand sell well. So I chose the GF Bread Mix as a trial. There was one other he indicated in the same line, but it contained Almonds, and this one does not.

The pkg gives recipes for its use with or without a bread machine, for the addition of seeds, herbs, or cinnamon for different flavors. It also gives directions for use as pizza crust, bagels and for pie crust.

I chose to use my stand mixer and oven bake. Simple, simple, simple! It is mixed for 3 minutes, set for 1 hour and baked for 70 minutes. Then left in the pan for 10 minutes. It smelled wonderful baking.

It contains sorghum flour, so if you don't like that flavor, I'd avoid, and the dough is a sort of beige color; but the loaf raises well while baking and it makes an 8X4 loaf.

I had two slices toasted this morning and enjoyed the flavor very much. It's a bit sweet - cane syrup & honey in the mix - but not overpowering. I'll snap a photo of the bread itself and post it later.

No comments: