Followers

Sunday, March 6, 2011

G F Recipe Books

I scored some new cookbooks at the Borders in DeKalb at 25% off. Specifically 2 new ones by Roben Ryberg: "The Gluten Free Kitchen", and "You Won't Believe it's Gluten Free". Plus a Slow Cooker Book called "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" by Stephanie O'Dea. I was looking for a Slow Cooker book as I just bought myself a new slow cooker with 3 crocks: 2, 4 & 6 quart. The bonus is: everything in the book is Gluten Free!!! I really lucked out on that one.

So now I have a good range of basic GF recipe books with a broad range of pretty simple recipes. Easy to make as is, and pretty easy to embellish or make changes to. The only one I'm not particularly crazy about is the first one I bought: "Gluten Free Everyday" by Robert M. Landolphi. And the only reason I'm not fond of it, is that to make the stuff in this book, I'd need a dozen different flours. All of the others seem to use the KISS principal, and use bsically white rice, brown rice & garbanzo bean flours with Tapioca, corn and/or potato starch. The flours tend to be pretty perishable, so having to keep several specialty ones on hand clutters up the refrigerator and tends to get expensive.

So, besides the ones listed here, and the Cookie book mentioned before, I have "Gluten-Free Baking Classics" by Annalise Roberts. This one uses 1 of 3 flour blends, all of which are based on Brown Rice Flour. The yeast bread blends include Millet and Sorghum flours, both of which add flavor and fiber.

So from this small library, I should be able to keep myself in Breads, cookies and meals without having to add any more books. All I need now is time and my own imagination.

No comments: