Followers

Monday, March 14, 2011

Mufins... Again!

One of the most frustrating things I have run into in baking is that, while things may taste good, and have fairly decent texture when newly baked, one they are a couple of days old, or after storing in refrigerator or (especially ) freezer, the texture begins to deteriorate.

Muffins that have been frozen become soft, crumbly and even mushy. They don't continue to hold together well. Breads tend to do the same.

So, I bake a batch of a dozen muffins, and because I don't scarf them all down, or feed them to my spouse, the become pretty gross in fairly short order. And my purpose for making muffins is the have a ready supply so that I can warm a couple in the microwave for breakfast when I am in the mood to eat muffins for breakfast! That dozen muffins might be in the freezer for up to 3 or 4 months! I just don't eat that much sweet bread! Variety is much more to my liking- so I eat cereal, or eggs, or muffins & yogurt; oatmeal, pancakes... you get the picture. I cannot eat the same thing day after day for breakfast! It's boring!!!

So, today I made some muffins. Started with a mix: Namaste Biscuit, etc. mix. 2 c of that (what was left in the bag + 1/2 c sugar. Snipped up the last few prunes (3/4 c ?) into the dry stuff & mixed it all up. I had one old banana, to which I added 1 egg, 1/4 c oil and 1/4 c milk. I poured the liquid into the dry stuff, mixed and decided I needed a bit more liquid, so I put in about 1/8 c more milk. Filled 9 muffin cups (paper liners) and baked 20 minutes. lightly browned & tested done with a toothpick. Turned them out onto a rack to cool. They are firmer (dryer) than the usual GF muffins. I took some pics....




After they cooled, I cut one in half, buttered one side (picture taken) & took a bite. So I could have added more sugar, but they really are sweet enough. Vanilla or maybe cinnamon probably would have jazzed up the flavor, but they are not bad. A bit dryer than most GF baked goods, but actually more texturally like wheat based muffins. One of the things I dislike about many of the GF things is that they are SO moist that they are almost gummy. So we'll see how they are after an overnight.

No comments: