Followers

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

When I first heard from my sister that she had a problem with gluten and I decided to find out if it was what was affecting me too, I started looking for a good GF muffin recipe that used only things I had in my pantry. I did an internet search for Gluten Free and came up with a number of blogs of women who are in the same boat I aam; whether for their own diets, or for someone for whom they cook. I like to have good healthy muffins in my freezer. They, and a carton of yogurt, are a pleasant change from cereal, so I tend to keep a supply around.

On my last grocery shopping trip (a half day 60 mile round trip), I'd picked up a Bob's Red Mill GF Baking Mix and a couple of other GF items including a bread mix (which is another story...) a General Mills cake mix, and a few other odds & ends. But I balked at Xanthan Gum at $11+ for 6oz. In my refrigerator I had 1 2 egg container of egg sub, 1 odd egg yolk and 1 whole egg and 3 small, very ripe bananas put there before we left for Franklin, TN for a long weekend.

So, in looking for something I could do without having to go shopping again, stumbled across this page: http://crabappleherbs.com/blog/2009/12/31/victory-gluten-free-bread-with-no-weird-gums-in-it/ Aha! I can do this! So, the recipe I came up with is this:

Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins
Baked at 400*

1/2c flaxseed meal
the eggs (see above)
That I let sit for a while to become slimy.
1c 1% milk
The bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
2/3c brown sugar
1 1/4 c Bob's baking mix
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
blueberries
pecans

It made 12 muffins and 1 small loaf. They don't rise much, so I probably could have gotten all of the batter into the 12 muffin cups, or maybe 14 muffins. test for doneness with a toothpick. When it comes out clean, they are done.

The muffins took 20-25 minutes and the don't brown. The bread I had to leave in longer. If I make them again, I think I'll add a bit of cinnamon.

They are very moist and tasty and have fiber (which so many gluten free things do not) and I have been enjoying them since. I figured that there is approximately 2167 calorie in the batch.

No comments: